Merit cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018
The Government of India has organized Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018 for students pursuing their studies in India. The scholarships under the scheme are available to pursue professional and technical courses in different private and government institutions.
The Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018 is the front-running scholarship scheme of the Ministry of Minority Affairs and it is also launched by them. The scholarship provides financial assistance to the meritorious minority students in order to encourage them to pursue higher technical or professional education from all over India.
The main objective of the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018 is to provide financial assistance to the poor and meritorious students belonging to minority communities of the country to enable them to pursue higher professional and technical courses. The government of India has improved the socio-economic conditions of the minority communities through affirmative action and inclusive development so that every citizen gets an equal opportunity to participate actively in building a vibrant and developed nation.
Salient Features of Merit cum Means Scholarship 2018
The Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018 possesses these salient features in contributing towards making India educated:
- The scholarship can be availed by any of the students to pursue technical or professional courses only in India.
- The scholarship is distributed among students through their respective State/UT designated administrative machinery after applying for the same.
- 60,000 scholarships are distributed every year to minority students belonging to the poor and downtrodden sections of the society.
- A certain percentage of the monetary scholarship is allocated to every State/UT of India every year. The allocation of scholarships to various states is made on the basis of the merit of the minority student’s population in that State/UT.
- Under the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018, out of the total number of the scholarships, 30% is reserved for the girl students pursuing their studies.
The students belonging from an economically weaker section of the society and are fulfilling the following criteria are eligible for applying for the scholarship:
- The applicant should have secured admission in the institution through the competitive entrance exam.
- The college or institution should be approved by the AICTE of India.
- Those applicants who have taken admission without taking any competitive entrance exam can also avail this scholarship provided they should have scored a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Class 12th or Graduation, whatever be the qualifying examination. Students will be selected on the basis of their percentage.
- The annual income of the family of the aspirant should not exceed ₹ 2.5 lakhs. It should be noted that the income certificate that would be submitted by the student will be considered valid only for a year and also it should be authorized by the governmental body. The beneficiary student has to submit the annual family income certificate every year.
- Applicants must have his/her Aadhaar Card.
The below-mentioned benefits are given to the selected candidates for the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018:
Those students who will get selected for the scholarship will get tuition-fee and maintenance allowance on the monthly basis to pursue any course. The maintenance allowance is given for only 10 months in a year.
Tuition- Fee for the course
- Day Scholars will get ₹ 20,000 or the actual tuition-fee, which will be less, annually to complete their studies.
- Hostellers get ₹ 20,000 or the actual tuition-fee, which will be less, annually to complete their studies.
- The day scholars will receive ₹ 500 on the monthly basis for 10 months in a year, which means in a year for each student ₹ 5,000 is allocated.
- The hostellers will get ₹ 1,000 on the monthly basis for 10 months in a year, which means in a year each student can get ₹ 10,000.
How to Apply: Merit Cum Means Scholarship Application 2018
By following these simple and easy steps, one can apply for the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Scheme 2018:
- Step 1: The applicant has to visit the NSP (National Scholarship Portal), which is www.scholarships.gov.in.
- Step 2: The NSP portal will appear on the screen.
- Step 3: Then the applicant has to click on the Merit Cum Means Scholarship Application 2018, the application form will appear on the screen.
- Step 4: The applicant should fill all the specified columns of the application form very carefully.
- Step 5: After filling the application form, the candidate will be required to submit the scanned copies of the following documents –
- Photograph of the student
- Verification Form of the Institution
- Self-declared Income Certificate by the student
- Self-declared Community Certificate by the student
- Copies of the fee receipts of the current year
- Previous Academic Mark sheets which should be self-attested by the students.
- Proof of Bank Account opened in the name of the student
- Aadhaar Card
- Step 6: Now the candidate can take the copy of filled application form for future reference.
**Don’t Miss These Posts Too–>