Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
There are several challenges preventing India’s rural poor from competing in the modern market, such as the lack of formal education, marketable skills and lack of money. DDU-GKY bridges this gap by funding training projects bench marked to global standards, which emphasize on placement, retention, career progression and foreign placement.
According to Census 2011, the world is expected to face a shortage of 57 million workers by 2020 which presents a historic opportunity for India to transform its demographic surplus into a demographic dividend. The Ministry of Rural Development implements DDU-GKY to drive the national agenda for inclusive growth, by developing skills and productive capacity of the rural youth from poor and backward families.
Features of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
The features include:
Enable Poor and Marginalized to Access Benefit-Demand-led skill training at no cost to the rural poor
Inclusive Program Design-Mandatory coverage of socially disadvantaged groups (SC/ST 50%; Minority 15%; Women 33%)
Shifting Emphasis from Training to Career Progression-Pioneers in providing incentives for job retention, career progression, and foreign placements
Greater Support for Placed Candidates-Post-placement support, migration support, and alumni network
Proactive Approach to Build Placement Partnerships-Guaranteed Placement for at least 75% trained candidates
Enhancing the Capacity of Implementation Partners-Nurturing new training service providers and developing their skills
Regional Focus-Greater emphasis on projects for poor rural youth in Jammu and Kashmir (HIMAYAT) and the North-East region and 27 Left-Wing Extremist (LWE) districts (ROSHINI)
Standards-led Delivery-All program activities are subject to Standard Operating Procedures that are not open to interpretation by local inspectors. All inspections are supported by geo-tagged, time-stamped videos/photographs.
Beneficiary Eligibility of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The age of rural youth must lie between 15 to 35 years.
- The age of special categories like SC, ST, PWD, PVTG, and Women must lie under 45 years.
Project Funding Support under DDU-GKY
DDU-GKY provides funding support for placement linked skilling projects that address the market demand with funding support ranging from Rs. 25,696 to over Rs. 1 lakh per person. The amount depends on the duration of the project and on the residential criteria that whether the project is residential or non-residential. DDU-GKY funds projects with training duration from 576 hours, i.e., 3 months to 2304 hours, i.e., 12 months.
The funding components include support for training costs, boarding and lodging (residential programmes), transportation costs, post-placement support costs, career progression and retention support costs.
Training Requirements for Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
The DDU-GKY provides the fund for the following training:
- DDU-GKY funds a variety of skill training programs covering over 250 trades across a range of sectors such as Retail, Hospitality, Health, Construction, Automotive, Leather, Electrical, Plumbing, Gems, and Jewelry, to name a few. The only mandate is that skill training should be demand based and lead to placement of at least 75% of the trainees in total.
- The trade specific skills are required to follow the curriculum and norms prescribed by specified national agencies: the National Council for Vocational Training and Sector Skills Councils.
- In addition to the trade-specific skills, training must be provided in employability and soft skills, functional English and functional Informational Technology (IT) literacy so that the training can build cross-cutting essential skills.
=> Also Read
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Features of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Beneficiary Eligibility of Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Project Funding Support under DDU-GKY
- Training Requirements for Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana
- Share this: