Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme for Elderly Diabetic Patients of BPL Category
The Kerala government has planned and implemented a new scheme named ‘Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme for Elderly Diabetic Patients of BPL Category’ in the state through which glucometers will be provided for free to senior citizens who are diabetic. Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme was also planned to hold cultural programmes and competitions for the elderly and transform villages into elderly-friendly localities in order to encourage them. The government planned to set up fitness centers and model care homes in each district also.
The main aim behind Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme for Elderly Diabetic Patients of BPL Category is to monitor blood glucose level for diabetic patients. Under the scheme, the government will provide free kits comprising of 1 Glucometer and 25 Test Strips to every senior citizen above 65 years suffering from diabetes who are belonging to Below Poverty Line (BPL) Category.
The primary objective behind the Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme is to help the diabetic patients in their old age who are at higher risk of diseases. People belonging from below poverty line can utilize this kit for regular monitoring of their blood sugar levels. The Glucometers price in the market varies from Rs. 450 to Rs. 2500 depending on their brands but under the scheme, kits will be provided for free of cost. Thus, this scheme will assist poor senior citizen of BPL Category. The government has acquired these kits from Kerala Medical Service Corporation Limited (KMSCL).
Features of Vayomadhuram Scheme
- As the scheme has been launched for the diabetic patients belonging from below poverty line category within the state of Kerala, by using the facilities provided under the scheme patients can get their blood sugar level measured.
- Under the scheme, the government will also be offering each of the beneficiaries with the facility of monitoring kit which cost id ranging from Rs. 450 to Rs. 2500 for free to the selected groups of beneficiaries. The kits will contain over 25 testing strips for the patients and also one set of Glucometer to around 800 beneficiaries.
- The scheme also includes assistance and help to the eligible patients of diabetes and will also work in spreading awareness among senior citizens of the state regarding the disease.
- Under the scheme, the government will make the victim to use the kit at home themselves by giving them detailed instructions and do’s and don’ts about the scheme and will work in encouraging them against the diabetic related problems.
- The government will also ensure that the kits and assistance are available to the beneficiaries whenever needed by approaching KMSCL, once the scheme has been launched.
- With the launch of the above-mentioned scheme, the state government of Kerala aims at regulating the number of people who belong to the BPL groups and are suffering from Diabetic conditions. This new move will help the patients the to get full assistance of checking with the condition of blood sugar level well in advance and reduced the risk factor.
The eligibility criteria for the Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme for Elderly Diabetic Patients of BPL Category is as follows:
- Residence: As per the state government, one of the basic rules for eligibility under the scheme is that the beneficiary has to be a local resident of the Kerala state by his/her birth for which he or she should have his domicile belonging to the state by birth.
- Age Limit: The scheme is only available for senior citizens of the state so it is important for the applicants to be minimum of 65 or above years of age at the time of registration under the scheme.
- Category: The government has also mentioned that the benefit of the scheme can only be made available for candidates who belong to the BPL (Below Income Groups) only of the state.
- Preference: The scheme in the initial stage will be offered with coverage to people belonging to the Old age homes and other health care centers of the state and the assistance will only be offered to the applicant who is suffering from the diabetic condition.
The documents required for availing the facilities under the Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme for Elderly Diabetic Patients of BPL Category are given below:
- Domicile Certificate: The applicant will have to provide with a copy of the domicile certification issued by the local authorities mentioning his or her residence-ship within the state of Kerala by birth.
- Birth Certificate: To prove his or her age as well as domicile state, the applicant is also expected to provide with a copy of the birth certificate issued by the health care centers or other municipal bodies. He can also submit a copy of the Aadhar card and other documents describing his age.
- Caste Certificate: As the scheme is only open for the people belonging to the BPL category of the society so it is obvious that the applicant should have to submit a copy of his or her caste certificate issued by the government local authorities mentioning his caste and group in the society.
- Health Certificate: The new scheme is only open for people of the state who are suffering from diabetes so its obvious that at the time of registration the candidates will have to provide with a copy of their health certificate mentioning the health status (if they are suffering from diabetes or not) and the health certificate also has to be issued by the local government authorities and health centers.
- Senior Citizen Certificate: In order to prove their age that the applicant belongs to the senior citizens’ category the applicant will have to submit a copy of the age proof or birth certificate or school leaving certificate as well as a birth certificate can also work.
In order to apply for the Kerala Vayomadhuram Scheme for Elderly Diabetic Patients of BPL Category, the applicant is expected to download the online application form and then fill it up manually. The application form can be availed at the Social Justice department office or it can also be downloaded online from official web portal services. To avail the online application form, the applicant must get logged on to the official social justice department web portal services and then request for the PDF format of the online application form print out. After the forms filled by the applicants, they are then submitted to the department along with all valid documents and their copies. The documents will be verified by the authorities and then the assistance will be provided by the department to the eligible candidate.
The official web link is www.socialsecuritymission.gov.in