Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana
The government of India approved a new Central Sector Scheme – Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters). The scheme was launched with an allocation of Rs. 6,000 crore for the period 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission cycle. The scheme will be implemented by Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MoFPI).
Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is a comprehensive package which will lead to the creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to the retail outlet. It will provide a big boost to the growth of food processing sector in the country. It will also help in providing the better process to farmers and is a big step towards doubling of farmers income, creating huge employment opportunities especially in the rural areas, reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level and enhancing the export of the processed foods.
Schemes to be Implemented
The following schemes will be implemented under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana :
- Mega Food Parks
- Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure
- Creation / Expansion of Food Processing & Preservation Capacities
- Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters
- Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure
- Human Resources and Institutions
The objective of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana is to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease Agricultural Waste that will lead to the betterment and modernization of the agricultural process.
PMKSY was launched with an allocation of Rs. 6,000 crore which is expected to leverage the investment of Rs. 31,400 crore, handling of 334 lakh MT agro-produce valuing Rs. 1,04,125 crore, benefit 20 lakh farmers and generate 5,30,500 direct/ indirect employment in the country by the year 2019-20.
The scheme will impact on the agriculture of the country in following ways:
- The implementation of PMKSY will result in the creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to the retail outlet.
- It will provide a big boost to the growth of food processing sector in the country.
- It will help in providing better prices to farmers and is a big step towards doubling of farmers’ income.
- It will create huge employment opportunities, especially in the rural areas.
- It will also help in reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level, availability of safe and convenient processed foods at affordable price to consumers and enhancing the export of the processed foods
Measures to give a boost to Food Processing Sector:
The government has taken various other measures to boost food processing sector which are as follows:
(a) To provide impetus to invest in food processing and retail sector, the government has allowed 100% FDI in trading including through e-commerce, in respect of food products manufactured and/or produced in India. This will benefit farmers immensely and will create back-end infrastructure and significant employment opportunities.
(b) The govt. has also set up a Special Fund of Rs. 2000 crore in NABARD to make available affordable credit at the concessional rate of interest to designated food parks and agro-processing units in the designated food parks.
(c) Food and agro-based processing units and cold chain infrastructure have been brought under the ambit of Priority Sector Lending (PSL) to provide additional credit for food processing activities and infrastructure thus, boosting food processing, reducing wastage, create employment and increasing farmers’ income.
- Mahila Coir Yojana (MCY)
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
- Samajwadi Smartphone Yojana